Sunday, January 9, 2011

How to get unbroken eggs from packaging in supermarkets.

I know many of us buy eggs from supermarkets like in Giants, Carrefore, ColdStorage and even from our residential grocery stores. Most of the time, the eggs comes in not too transparent packaging, especially those Omega eggs.

What pisses me off was when I get home, I find some of eggs  broken. I just almost got 1 tray yesterday. No signs of broken eggs at 1 glance, but when I tilted it to the side, my hands got sticky with egg whites. =P

Remember, not all packaging allows you to open and check.

What I did was:-

1. Gently turn the packaging slowly 180 degree (upside down) 
2. Look for fluids a.k.a egg whites. Sometimes, it doesn't appear on the packaging as the cracks are very fine.
3. Just in case, gently tilt it to the sides to look for leaks, which you will feel it eventually.

If you get nothing, than it is almost 100% the eggs are in good condition. 

And please check for printed date, if there are any. 
This will let you know how long the eggs have been on the shelf, which will allow you to judge how long will the eggs stay fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment